Weddings at Selby Gardens
Selby Gardens is one of the most popular wedding locations and its facilities are highly rated.
Wedding Site Options
Weddings may be held anywhere on the grounds. The most popular areas are the Schimmel Wedding Lawn and Pavilion and the Wedding Oak adjacent to the Mansion.
Indoor receptions are generally held in the Great Room by the Bay and the Mansion. The Great Room by the Bay is a 3,600 square-foot room and with 60-feet of glass windows facing west for spectacular bay and sunset views. It seats approximately 175 persons at round dinner tables or up to 250 people theater style. The Mansion will accommodate 55 guests for a sit down dinner or up to 75 for a cocktail reception.
We encourage you to watch our Private Events Photo Tour to help you decide where your event might take place.
Select from one of the caterers on our approved vendor list. All caterers are required to pay a 10% facilities fee to Marie Selby Botanical Gardens.
All alcoholic beverages must be purchased and provided by one of our approved caterers. No outside alcohol may be brought in by private parties.
- Furniture – Chairs are included in the rental price for outdoor ceremonies. Tables and chairs are included in the rental price for indoor events.
- Bar Services – Due to liability insurance requirements, all bars providing alcohol must be handled through one of our approved caterers.
- Parking – The Gardens can efficiently park approximately 220 vehicles in three paved lots and in the mulched areas east of the Administration. Our experience is that for most events, cars carry an average of two passengers.
- Admission – Free admission to the Gardens for all attendees on the day of your event (guests must present invitation).
- Discounts- There is a 10% discount for tax exempt, not-for-profit organizations that can provide a tax-exempt certificate.
Tables and Chairs
Included in the price of the rental for the Mansion and Great Room are 60" Round Tables and 8' Banquet Tables. This usually accomodates about 55 guests in the Mansion and 200 in the Great Room (without a dance floor).
For ceremonies, we can supply 150 white event chairs at no charge when weddings are booked.
- Outdoor Facilities are available for private events when the Gardens are closed to the public, beginning at 5:00 p.m.
- The Great Room by the Bay is available from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- The Mansion is open to the public during Garden hours and it is available after 5:00 p.m. The Mansion's second floor meeting rooms are available from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, Monday through Friday.
Audio and Visual Capabilities
- Projection Screens and once LCD procjector are available in the Great Room by the Bay, screens are also available in the meeting rooms upstairs in the Mansion. Please call for availability of screens for other rental areas.
- Podium and Lavaliere / Microphones – Great Room by the Bay
- Wi-Fi is available in the Great Room by the Bay, inside and outside of the Selby House, and inside of the Mansion.
If you are interested in taking wedding photography at Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, please call (941) 366-5731, ext. 230 to schedule a time. If you are interested in using Selby Gardens in a commercial photo shoot, please read our photo policy.
The Gardens outdoor facilities and the Mansion are available for private events during hours when the Gardens is closed to the public, beginning at 5:00 p.m. The Great Room by the Bay is available from 8:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. The Mansion is available for private events from 5:00 through 11:30 p.m. See the brochure for additional details.
Duration of Events
The following time periods are provided as part of the contract the day of your event unless previously approved by the Private Events Associate.
- Set up time for Receptions and Wedding Ceremonies to be determined by Events Manager
- Wedding Rehearsals, 1 hour maximum
- Wedding Ceremony, guest arrival to departure, 3 hours
- Receptions, Parties, Dinners, etc., as noted on your contract
- Dressing Rooms, if available, can be used after 2:00 p.m.
- Cleanup, removal of decorations, caterer clean up, etc., 1 hour
- Filling out our online form is the best way to contact us and get the process started.
- Have more than one date available
- We encourage you to take the photo tour and check out the brochures prior to setting up a tour.
Reservations will be processed when a signed contract and the appropriate reservation deposit are received and countersigned by a Gardens representative. The reservation deposit is 25% of the base price plus sales tax total. Verbal reservations added to the Events Calendar will be held for ten days to allow a client to submit a credit card number or check. Due to the volume of requests, dates will not be held more than 10 days. Should the Gardens receive a request within 10 days for the same date, you will be given 48 hours to sign your contract and secure a deposit. The balance of the event fee is due (30) thirty days prior to the scheduled event.
Special Offer from the Private Events Department
- Non-profit discounts may apply for private events, but not weddings.
Cancellation and Reservation
The Contracting Guest may cancel a reservation at any time. All cancellations must be in writing. If a Contracting Guest cancels a reservation more than 16 weeks (112 days) prior to the event, 10% of the base fee will be refunded.
Security / Damage Deposit
In addition to the agreed upon rental fee and sales tax, a refundable Security/ Damage deposit of $300.00 is required for all private events where food and/or alcoholic beverages are served. Visitor damage to the Gardens’ property and facilities, failure to meet all requirements of the Contracting Guest, additional hours beyond those provided in this brochure for each type of event, or contracted for and/or additional services will be charged against the Security/Damage deposit.
The balance of the event fee and the security/damage deposit are due (30) thirty days prior to the scheduled event. If the balance due is not received, the Gardens may, without liability, and at the discretion of a representative of the Events Department, cancel the event.
Cancellation of events or damages to clients due to inclement weather is the responsibility of the client. The Gardens suggest that alternative preparations and plans be made as insurance against cancellation due to inclement weather. The Gardens will cooperate with a brief delay of outdoor events due to rain, and will make every effort to provide an indoor location if weather prevents a scheduled outdoor event from taking place. If a client is having both their wedding and reception at the Gardens, and the wedding must be moved indoors because of rain, the wedding will be held in the building reserved for the reception. Because the Gardens sometimes host more than one event at a time, a suitable alternate area may not be available in the event of inclement weather. Damages to rental equipment, decorations, etc. due to inclement weather are the responsibilities of the client.